Minutes of Board of Directors’ Meeting, 02/13/12

Parkwood Garden Club
Board of Directors’ Minutes
February 13, 2012

The February 13, 2012 meeting of the Parkwood Garden Club (PGC) Board of Directors was held at 220 Upland Road in Decatur, GA. The meeting was called to order at 7:11 p.m. The following officers/committee chairs attended: Tom Bell, Karna Candler, Sheri Kennedy, Rebecca Kerimbaev, Bryan Bell, Frances Galifianakis, and Joanna Quillen.

 Consent Agenda
The January 10, 2012 Board Meeting Minutes were approved as written.
The February 11, 2012 Financial Report was approved.

 Treasurers’ Report – Tom Bell

  • On the Financial Report, Tom noted that $34.54 was transferred from the Park account to the PGC account. This was because PayPal from the website automatically deposited this money into the Park account, even though it belonged in the PGC account. 
  • After a long transition from the banking end of things, PGC’s “Decatur First Bank” accounts will officially become Fidelity accounts on Feb. 24. At this time, PGC Treasurer Tom Bell will merge the three separate PGC banking accounts into one.

Financial Issues

  • Joanna moved that Karna be added as a second person with signature authority on the PGC bank account(s). Sheri seconded the motion. All approved.
  • Rebecca is having Sprintprint (Jim) print the PGC Directories this week. The directories will cost less than $160 for 120 copies. Karna will distribute the directories to those attending the neighborhood party on Saturday night.
  • Sheri requested that all surplus PGC funds in 2012 be used to cover the inevitable deficit in the Parkwood Park maintenance account, caused by tree removal/pruning expenses which will be ongoing.
  • Sheri moved that the PGC Board approve the tree removal work as presented in her report. Tom seconded the motion. Discussion: Next month, Sheri will ask the PGC Board to reimburse the Parkwood Park Maintenance line item from the PGC reserve fund for this tree removal project. All approved.

President’s Report – Karna Candler

  • The postponed PGC Holiday Party will be held on Saturday, Feb. 18 from 6 – 8 pm at Averill and Mark Jones’ home, 206 Upland Road.
  • If David Rotenstein can secure funding for doing the work to have the Parkwood Neighborhood listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Board members will need to do research to confirm that there isn’t any down side to such a designation.
  • Karna appointed Bryan Bell and Sheri Kennedy to serve on the PGC Nominating Committee. Karna took a straw poll of the PGC Board members present, asking about serving again next year. The Nominating Committee hopes to have a slate by the March 12 PGC Board Meeting.
  • Tom will try to reserve the meeting space at the Church of the Epiphany on May 21, 7 pm for the PGC Annual Meeting. If the space is not available on that date, Tom will try to reserve May 14 at 7 pm.

Proposed By-Laws

Tom moved that the Parkwood Garden Club amend the Proposed PGC By-Laws to allow for two categories of membership. Sheri seconded the motion. All approve. Joanna will send a draft with this change, in red-line and non-red-line, to everyone on the PGC Board.

 Standing Committees – Additions to Reports

Frances reported on new neighborhood residents:

  • Tallant, Emily, and Greg (sons James and Andrew) – 352 W Parkwood Rd. Greg is the new Rector at the Holy Trinity Parish on E. Ponce in Decatur.
  • Margiasso, Sussy (pronounced Suzie) and Nick (baby son Nico) – 374 W Parkwood Rd.
  • Crum, Johnette and Dave – 268 W. Parkwood Rd. jbrosewood@aol.com, 404-373-2963

Bryan presented an initial draft of a “Neighborly Property Maintenance” letter which was adjusted from the CHCA to the Parkwood Neighborhood. Board members suggested reducing the letter to one page, adding code citations and deleting codes which didn’t seem relevant to the Parkwood Neighborhood. Bryan will prepare a revision for the March PGC Board meeting. 

Frances’ proposal to deal with the “dumping in the Park” issue was tabled indefinitely. The Neighborly Property Maintenance letter is the first step which she recommended. The Board will return to Frances’ proposal if the letter doesn’t resolve the issue.

The meeting adjourned at 9:01 p.m. The next meeting will be held Monday, March 12, 2012, 7 PM at 220 Upland Road. The Board will vote on the Proposed Parkwood Garden Club By-Laws. Issues for this or future meetings include the following:

  • Need to reimburse the Parkwood Park account for tree removal expense?
  • Slate of 2012-2013 Parkwood Garden Club Officers/Board Members
  • Approve “Neighborly Property Maintenance Letter” and the plan/expense of how it will be copied/distributed to all Parkwood Neighborhood residents.
  • Neighborhood Watch details — how crime is reported and communicated, how Neighborhood Watch and PGC email system coordinate dissemination of information.
  • Set date for the May Membership meeting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s